Terry Green, President
Happy November! What an exciting month ... we just recently pulled off another wildly successful Online Summit. The 8th Annual IVAA Online Summit to be more specific. What a great time with more than 30 powerful sessions to help you market and grow a successful business; a lot of great networking, and lots and lots of prizes. If you weren't able to register and attend the Online Summit, never fear. You'll have an opportunity to purchase all of the recordings in the near future.
The main topic of this month's IVAACast is marketing ... marketing, marketing, marketing! One of the most important steps to growing and maintaining a successful business, but also often one of the least understood.
So, I'd like to invite you to kick off your shoes, and kick back in your easy chair with a cup of your favorite coffee or tea and enjoy the many articles contained in this issue of the IVAACast!
See you in December!
To Your Virtual Success,
Live Summit 2014 – Here We Come Vegas!!
Congratulations Cindy Opong! She won the first IVAA Live Summit drawing: reimbursement in full of her summit registration!
There are another six drawings on the horizon, folks. If you’re already registered for Summit, you are in each of those drawings. If you haven’t registered yet… what are you waiting for? Register for the LIVE Summit before December 4th and enter the drawing for the 2nd prize: Strategic Virtual Solutions’ Infusionsoft Training Videos (a $247 value)!
WORKING WITH A VIRTUAL ASSISTANT
Are You Missing a Step in Your Marketing?
By Tracey D'Aviero
When you look at how you are marketing your business, what do you see?
Is there rhyme and reason to it, or do you just "fly by the seat of your pants?" If flying by the seat of your pants sounds like you, don’t worry – you are definitely not alone.
Many VAs I talk to don’t really have a marketing plan in place for their business. But if you don’t plan, it’s a bit like throwing spaghetti against the wall – you put it all out there and hope something sticks. It’s not really an effective plan.
Marketing strategy isn’t difficult – it just takes sitting down and thinking about what you want to do, why you want to do it, and what results you expect to gain.
Here are a couple of tips:
- Start with a goal in mind - You need to plan the goal of your marketing in order to effectively set up your strategy and also to monitor your results. You need to set some goals – both short term and long term – of what you want to obtain from your marketing efforts. Whether you want to build your list, acquire more clients, expand your network, gain expert status in your industry, connect with others, or sell products you must look at each goal individually and then figure out how to strategize and make it happen.
- Build a plan around your goals - Once you decide what your goals are, it’s important to strategically decide what steps you are going to take to achieve them. Things to think about include what combination of online and offline marketing to use, what part you can/will automate and what needs to be spontaneous. Also, don’t forget about planning to give yourself enough lead time to successfully market to your exact audience.
- Know your content - The words you use to send your message out are significant. Your basic goal is to plan what you are going to say, and how you are going to say it. Figure out what avenue your audience will hear your messages from – blog posts, articles, audio, video, etc. and then provide the information you want them to have in that medium.
- Don’t forget your call to action (CTA) - Finally, with every piece of marketing you post make sure you have a clear call to action. Ask your prospect to do one thing with each marketing piece, whether that’s directing them to your website, asking them to opt in for your freebie, or purchasing your services, be clear about what it is you want them to do.
Making time to plan your marketing strategy will save you time and money. A little planning goes a long way and by considering the tips above, you can make sure your marketing efforts will work for you.
FORMULAS FOR SUCCESS
No time, no money, and too overwhelmed to market? No problem!
By Sydni Craig-Hart
The success of your virtual assistant business depends on your ability to consistently and effectively market your solutions. So why is it that so few VAs are spending the necessary time and energy on marketing? In my coaching work, these are the excuses I hear most often:
- “I don’t have enough time to market”
- “I don’t have enough money to market my business”
- “I’m too overwhelmed with work to focus on marketing”
If you find that you have similar thoughts running through your mind, I have good news for you! There are simple strategies you can tap into to bust through these excuses and find the time, money and organization you need to market consistently. Once you put these excuses behind you, you’ll be able to create the successful VA business you’ve always wanted.
- “I don’t have enough time to market.” – When you own your own business, you often wear a number of different “hats” each day. As a virtual assistant, your day is packed with various tasks, both for your clients and yourself. But marketing is an essential activity you have to make time for on a monthly, weekly, and daily basis. By diligently setting aside specific blocks of time to work on your marketing, you can easily create massive visibility for your work in just a few hours each week. With just a bit of planning, you’ll be able to fit in marketing no matter how busy your schedule seems.
- “I don’t have enough money to market my business.” – If you’re thinking of marketing in terms of sending out direct mail pieces, buying advertising space or printing flyers, you may think you don’t have enough money for marketing. While it’s true that there are many marketing activities that cost money, there are dozens of free to low-cost ways to market your services. For example, leveraging social media and hosting teleseminars is not only very effective, but completely free. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel and make the process more difficult than it needs to be! By implementing low-cost marketing methods you can increase your reach even on a budget.
- “I’m too overwhelmed to market.” – If this is your mantra, it’s time to change your perspective about your business. No matter how busy you are with your current clients, you need to market consistently to keep your pipeline full and your income steady. The solution lies in creating a specific marketing plan to achieve your goals and then working that plan. In doing so you will avoid becoming distracted by irrelevant opportunities and feelings of overwhelm because your focus is on making progress on the RIGHT activities week in and week out. This helps you feel more positive, in control and less overwhelmed – all while you are consistently enrolling ideal clients into your VA practice.
“Whether you think you can or whether you think you can’t, you’re right” – Henry Ford.
We are all gifted the same amount of time each day. What you choose to do with that time is entirely up to you. But know this, you will not grow your business and achieve your goals if you don’t market your solutions. So you can’t afford NOT to invest time and financial resources into connecting with the people who need what you have to offer. Don’t allow excuses to stand in the way of your ability to create the profitable and successful virtual assistant business you deserve!
YOUR ACTION PLAN FOR THIS MONTH
- Take note of how you spend your workday. Chances are you can eliminate common time wasted and create at least 1-2 hours that can be spent on marketing each day.
- Make an appointment with yourself within the next seven days to block out time to create your marketing plan.
- During your appointment with yourself, research ways to automate your marketing. For example, create a schedule for updating your blog and pre-plan your monthly posting schedule and how/where you will distribute that information.
- Schedule time each week to implement your marketing plan. Don’t leave this to chance or allow anything to interfere with this appointment.
- Keep going! Once you’ve taken the time to establish a marketing plan, keep taking action and work your plan week after week.
STAFF WRITER BIOS
Tracey D'Aviero is a veteran VA and Founder of Your VA Mentor. Her mission is to provide education, inspiration and motivation to Virtual Assistants to help them build and grow successful businesses. She teaches teach them business and marketing skills and strategies, and mentors them as they implement those skills. Visit www.yourvamentor.com to learn about upcoming VA training programs and to pick up some great free resources.
Sydni Craig-Hart, The VA Success Coach™, is Founder of Executive
Assistant to Virtual Assistant!, a company dedicated to providing
Administrative Professionals with the support, tools and resources they
need to create a highly successful, profitable Virtual Assistant
business. Visit VASuccessSecrets.com
to listen to Sydni's FREE audio class "How To Start A Profitable Virtual Assistant Business... From Scratch Nothing!"
IN THIS ISSUE
Getting Started - Live Summit 2014 – Here We Come Vegas!!
Working With a Virtual Assistant - Are You Missing a Step in Your Marketing?
Formulas for Success - No time, no money, and too overwhelmed to market? No problem!
Book your seat now to get in the draw to win some fantastic prizes prizes! Click here.
Click here to submit a Blog Article to IVAA (members only!).
| IVAA CALENDAR
||IVAA Monday Coffee Chat
||IVAA Board Meeting - November 2013
IVAA Monday Coffee Chat
New Member Orientation
||IVAA Monday Coffee Chat
IVAA Spanish Coffee Chat
||Peer Discussion for Association Management VAs
IVAA Monday Coffee Chat
IVAA Monday Coffee Chat
IVAA Monday Coffee Chat
Register at IVAA (login for full list) times in Eastern US
Update your Email Address
Inquire about advertising with IVAAcast
Download Your Membership Manual Here